4 nights from $2,195pp*
Where you’ll visit:
- Christchurch Port Hills
- Christchurch Adventure Park
- Old Ghost Road
- Warm up on Christchurch’s Port Hills with stunning ocean views
- Ride the trails of Christchurch’s Adventure Park – lift assisted
- Explore the local Craigieburn Trails in Castle Hill Basin
- Test your skills on the Old Ghost Road’s enviable single-track
- Stay overnight in the remote Ghost Lake and Specimen Point Huts
- Take in incredible views from the Skyline Ridge and Lyell Tops
- Learn new riding tips and a receive a skill session with your experienced mountain bike guides
- Enjoy local hospitality in small townships along the way
- 4 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- 1 nights motel ensuite accommodation on a twin share basis
- 1 night back country lodge with shared facilities
- 2 nights in remote backcountry hut with shared facilities
- Experienced qualified mountain bike guides/drivers
- Private vehicle transport
- Lift rides in the Christchurch Adventure Park
- Water and snacks while cycling
- Access and concession fees paid to the Department of Conservation
- New Zealand Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Excludes: airfares, insurance, personal spending
Your mountain biking adventure begins with a warm up in Christchurch’s Port Hills. Flowing single-track along the crater rim gives us panoramic views in all directions, the peaks of the Southern Alps to the west and the vivid blue waters of Lyttelton Harbour to the east. Our adventure continues with a few runs in Christchurch’s Adventure Park using their state-of-the-art lift. We then enjoy lunch at the on-site restaurant before getting ready for the 1.5 hour drive towards the mountains. The journey takes us across the vast Canterbury Plains and over Porters Pass which is a fitting introduction to the Craigieburn Mountains where our next adventure awaits. We stay the night at Porters Lodge where we enjoy a home cooked dinner provided by our Kiwi hosts. Note: If you are bringing your own bike, please make sure you have it assembled and ready when we pick you up. If you are hiring a mountain bike, there will be a chance to test and fit your hire bike. Cycling distance: Up to 50km
Today’s adventure starts right outside our doorstep. After a hearty breakfast we ride the lodges own flow trails before setting loose in the Craigieburn forest. You’ll be rewarded with fantastic views over the surrounding valleys and mountains from the many trail options including the Hog’s Back, Luge, the Edge, Dracophyllum flat and Dicksons Downhill tracks. Returning to the trailhead, we then drive across the Southern Alps via Arthur’s Pass to Reefton, the charming West Coast town that’s our stopping point for the night. It’s hard to believe this was the first town in NZ to have a power supply! We enjoy an evening meal and a well-deserved beer in the town’s historic pub. Rest up as the next three days will be huge! Cycling distance: Up to 40km
A short drive takes us to the gold rush ghost town of Lyell and the start of the Old Ghost Road. The trail starts with a 765m climb through beach forest along an old dray road to the open tops of the saddle, offering dramatic views across the valley in all directions. A narrow and rocky track then sidles across the face of Mt Montgomery and past ‘Heaven’s Door’ before descending through stunted alpine forest to Ghost Lake Hut and our accommodation for the night. At 1200m above sea level, we think you’ll agree this is the perfect place to stop. We’ll enjoy a relaxed evening at the hut, overlooking Ghost Lake and the surrounding mountain ranges where your guides will prepare your evening meal. Riding Distance: 30km Approx Time: 6-8 hours
Today our ride descends rapidly from Ghost Lake through rock gardens with tight turns to reach the spectacular Skyline Ridge. We carry our bikes down the Skyline Steps before some fun, fast and sweeping single-track into the Stern Valley. The trail continues to meander on through the Earnest Valley and zigzags up through a large bolder field named the Boneyard to Solemn Saddle. From here it’s on down to the confluence with the Mokihinui River South Branch and the old Goat Creek Hut. From Goat Creek, we will wind our way through towering podocarp forest to the Mokihinui ‘Forks’ and then on to the Specimen Point Hut site 3km downstream towards at the head of Mokihinui River Gorge. Our guides will cook up another tasty meal and we will relax enjoying views of the river nearby. Riding Distance: 38km Approx time: 6-9 hours
From Specimen Point, the Mokihinui squeezes into a tight gorge and below us are rushing green waters and deep clear pools. Narrow swing bridges overhang massive drops and the old miners’ road is re-joined for the undulating ride through the spectacular Mokihinui River gorge to the end of the trail and the end of the Old Ghost Road. At Seddonville we meet up with our transport, load up the bikes before we enjoy a shower and refreshments at the Rough & Tumble lodge. We then set off on our journey over the Lewis Pass back to Christchurch. We can expect to arrive in Christchurch around 7pm, where there are options to be dropped near to the airport or in the central city. Those who would like to dismantle and box their mountain bikes can return to the Adventure South NZ depot. Riding Distance: 17km Approx time: 2-4 hours
Terms and Conditions
- Price based on per person twin share, in NZD and selected travel periods and blackout dates apply.
- Prices are correct at the time of release and are subject to availability and to change without notice.
- Credit/debit card, Q Mastercard®/Q Card surcharges surcharges, singles supplement and cancellation/change fees may apply.
- Events beyond our control such as currency fluctuations may result in price variations.
- Priced based on travel dates (ask our experts for alternate dates): 28 Jan – 1 Feb 2021 | 8 Mar 2021 – 12 Mar 2021
- Prices exclude (unless specified) airfares, insurance (Note: some insurance companies may deem mountain biking an extreme sport), meals, other activities and all items of a personal nature. Additional levies, government charges, and fees may apply that are beyond our control.
- Accommodation. Subject to availability. Selected travel dates & blackouts & book by dates apply. Specific room types, bedding configuration, features and amenities may vary.
- Activities: Where specified are subject to availability and weather dependent. Age, weight and height restrictions may apply.
- Product is supplied by suppliers with their own terms and conditions.
- travel&co full terms and conditions apply.
We'll find you the best value deals in the most amazing destinations. Let your active travel journey start with us!