6 nights from $2,595pp*
Where you’ll visit:
- Hanmer Springs
- Southern Alps
- Marlborough Sounds
- Challenge yourself on this scenic 7 day road cycle adventure at the top of NZ’s South Island
- Experience one of the best coastal rides in the world which takes us to the amazing geology of Punakaiki and its Pancake Rocks
- Relax tired muscles in the hot pools of Hanmer Springs
- Cycle over the Southern Alps via the picturesque Rahu Saddle
- Travel through beautiful rain forest clad mountains and along scenic river valleys
- Discover the beauty of Queen Charlotte Drive as we cycle alongside the Marlborough Sounds
- Swim with the dolphins or join a whale watch tour in Kaikoura (optional)
- 6 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 3 dinners
- 6 nights hotel/motel/lodge ensuite accommodation on twin share basis
- Professional qualified driver/guide
- 2 professional guides/drivers on trips with 8 or more people
- Private vehicle transport
- Water and snacks while cycling
- Access and concession fees paid to the Department of Conservation
- New Zealand Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Excludes: airfares, insurance, personal spending
After a pick up from a central city location and a bike fitting at our depot in Christchurch we drive out of the city and start to cycle. The Canterbury Plains are vast and with Hanmer Springs being our objective it’s a matter of turning the pedals and watching the road slip by. By late afternoon we arrive at the thermal resort with a chance to soak in the hot pools before dinner. (www.hanmersprings.co.nz). Cycling Distance: up to 60km / 40miles
This morning the beautiful beech forests of the Lewis Pass beckon. By cycle and coach we gradually climb over the picturesque Lewis and Rahu Saddles, after each climb is a downhill rush with long sweeping corners. On beautifully sealed roads with lush temperate rainforest lining the roadside we ride until we reach the rugged beauty of the West Coast Region. The afternoon sees us finish our ride at a country pub called “Formerly the Blackball Hilton.” There is a story to be told over your drinks before we drive to Moana, nestled between the spectacular Southern Alps and tranquil Lake Brunner. Cycling Distance: morning – up to 45km / 28miles Optional afternoon ride – 30km / 19miles
Heading out of Moana, we follow an undulating and winding course through the picturesque Arnold Valley to Stillwater. A flat ride beside the banks of the Grey River takes us out to the coastal township of Greymouth. One of the trips many highlights is the coastal riding as we head along the coast to the famous Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki. The riding is pure quality – with enough hills to keep you honest. Cycling Distance: 76km / 47miles
We cycle the sealed roads through the impressive Buller Gorge where the upper gorge landscape provides us with snapshot vistas of the Buller River whose white water attracts many a rafting and kayak enthusiast. There are plenty of photo opportunities on this scenic and gently undulating ride, before we board our coach for a final ride into St Arnaud, nestled in the heartland of the Nelson Lakes National Park. We recommend doing one of the many short walks around nearby Lake Rotoiti. This area is known as a “mainland island” and the results of the pest eradication programme means that the native birdlife is flourishing. Cycling Distance: morning – up to 91km / 57miles
Early risers are encouraged to take a walk into the nearby native forest at sunrise to hear the native birds & their “dawn chorus”. From behind St Arnaud we cycle the sealed forestry roads on a long mainly downhill ride towards the coast. We continue along a quiet road beside the beautiful Motueka River and through an area known for growing hops. We enter the township of Motueka and transfer by coach to nearby Nelson where we have time to explore the arts and craft capital of New Zealand. Cycling Distance: up to 97km / 60miles
By coach we motor over the steep outlying hills to arrive at the start of the beautiful Queen Charlotte Drive, which skirts the Marlborough Sounds into Picton. From here it is a short hop over the hill to Blenheim, NZ’s premier wine producing region. After a great lunch at one of the countries leading wineries, we head south down the dramatic East Coast to reach Kaikoura, home of whale watching in New Zealand. Cycling Distance: 60km / 37miles
For the early risers, an optional chance to view one of the great natural sights as whales surface against the spectacular mountain backdrop of the seaward Kaikoura Mountains (www.whalewatch.co.nz). Swimming with or watching dolphins is also highly recommended (www.dolphinencounter.co.nz). Due to the popularity, however, it is essential to make a booking well in advance. Following a late breakfast we head further south cycling some of the great back roads and enjoying the scenery as we eventually return to Christchurch and drop you in the downtown area around 6pm. Cycling Distance: up to 60km / 37miles
Terms and Conditions
- Price based on per person twin share, in NZD and selected travel periods and blackout dates apply.
- Prices are correct at the time of release and are subject to availability and to change without notice.
- Credit/debit card, Q Mastercard®/Q Card surcharges surcharges, singles supplement and cancellation/change fees may apply.
- Events beyond our control such as currency fluctuations may result in price variations.
- Priced based on travel dates (ask our experts for alternate dates): 16 Nov – 22 Nov 2020
- Prices exclude (unless specified) airfares, insurance (Note: some insurance companies may deem mountain biking an extreme sport), meals, other activities and all items of a personal nature. Additional levies, government charges, and fees may apply that are beyond our control.
- Accommodation. Subject to availability. Selected travel dates & blackouts & book by dates apply. Specific room types, bedding configuration, features and amenities may vary.
- Activities: Where specified are subject to availability and weather dependent. Age, weight and height restrictions may apply.
- Product is supplied by suppliers with their own terms and conditions.
- travel&co full terms and conditions apply.
Explore some of the leading ski, mountain biking, fishing and diving locations with all the planning taken care of. Let your active travel journey start with us!